Sunday 19 March 2017

Looking ahead with more work on the Professional Artefact

This week has been a busy week in terms of my inquiry. I have completed three interviews, I did have a couple more scheduled but unfortunately they have had to be re-arranged for the beginning of next week due to busy schedules. I have been continuing to read literature and have had discussions with my peers about analysis. Although I feel I have made progress I still feel a little insecure about how I will bring all of my findings and work together. However reading through the slides Paula posted about the session yesterday and other participants blogs I feel a little better. Paula mentioned that when looking at the five stages of an inquiry you may be covering two or more stages at once. I relate to this as I have been implementing my tools of inquiry which has resulted in producing some themes in my work which I now want to look into with more literature. I am also beginning to think about analysis as it is approaching the time in the module when these ideas must start to come together. I am conscious that I need to keep my themes clear through all of these stages to make sure my work connects well together.

Looking ahead to the rest of the module, yesterday I spent the afternoon looking through blogs of previous students who have completed the course in order to assess if I am heading in the right direction. The professional artefact is something I have mentioned in previous blogs and looking at other students blogs has really got me thinking about this creative aspect of my work. I had already considered a visual professional artefact after discussions with other performers of my SIG's had proved this would be a popular choice. However I hadn't realised just how creative we could be. When looking at Jess Boswell's blog a quote from Adesola really stood out to me.

'If the artefact has anything to do with paper and writing then it won't be as strong as it could be. Think of the artefact as a piece of art.'  

Jess then went on to discuss that as money was a running theme in her inquiry she was going to try and create a papermache wallet in which to store the information she wanted to share on giant bank cards. Although I don't think this would be appropriate for my inquiry or target audience, it really opened my eyes to how creative we can and must be with the professional artefact. Another blog and artefact idea that stood out to me was that of Bethany Huckle. For her professional artefact she created an audio scrapbook. I did a little research into what an audio scrapbook is and how to make one. I've posted a link to one blog I found helpful below.

http://www.writeclickscrapbook.com/write_click_scrapbook/2011/01/an-audio-scrapbook-and-a-download-to-share.html

This idea stood out to me as I wish to combine my ideas into a form that uses both visual imagery and sound, so as to appeal to performers that are used to working in an environment that relies on visuals and sound. Although a audio scrapbook combines these two elements, after looking into it more I don't think it would me to incorporate as much moving imagery as I would like. I think my artefact will work better if it is more video based. 

I found looking through previous students blogs very helpful as it has continued to stimulate my ideas surrounding my professional artefact. I have posted the links to both Bethany's and Jess's blogs below.

  http://jessboswell.blogspot.com.es/2016/12/artefact.html

http://hucklebethany.blogspot.com.es/

2 comments:

  1. This is really interting because I just had a Skype with Adesola yesterday about my artefact and like you I had no idea how creative we could actually be. I still don't know what I actually want to create for my artefact but I think it's great we have the freedom to express our inquiry creatively as we are all artists after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also check out
    http://tomhullyer.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://corindahall.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete