Monday 10 October 2016

A Possible Line of Inquiry

I have taken time to look back through my Module One work, in particular the questions asked in Task 2D. It helped me focus some of my thoughts and decide upon a possible line of inquiry.

A continuing theme throughout my work on this course has been the importance of psychology when working with others. I have mentioned in previous blogs how I struggle to find the balance between teaching work and performance work. That is something that has continued to effect my decision on possible inquiry topics. It is important to choose a line of inquiry that is relevant to your work. However if your work is constantly changing it can be hard to focus your ideas and options!

For that reason I would like to, if possible, look at a line of inquiry that would effect both sides of my work. With the key theme of psychology within team work in mind, below are some questions that I have brainstormed.

What types of learning must you consider when taking a rehearsal in order to get the best performance out of the entire cast?

How does the teaching and learning experienced in a class differ to that experienced in a rehearsal?

Does a performer have to conduct themselves differently in a rehearsal environment than they do in a class? If so, what are the reasons for that difference?


I looked at my questions and decided I needed to start with a broader approach to help gather my thoughts and help provide my ideas with a direction to go in. I thought about, 'What makes a successful rehearsal'. I started with what I thought were the four main factors - The choreographer, the rehearsal members, the rehearsal space and the material. Below is a picture of my brainstorming.



I also found a useful article on the topic. It is from the point of view of someone in charge of a rehearsal, something I will be doing often in the coming weeks so definitely something for me to consider.


http://www.danceadvantage.net/rehearsal-management-tips/


I plan to take these ideas further by directing my first questions to a fellow peer and blogging my thoughts. I am plan to brainstorm in a similar way as I did for a rehearsal with a class environment and compare the similarities and differences. Any thoughts from my fellow bloggers are also appreciated!






1 comment:

  1. The focus on the rehearsal gives you a smaller 'slice' of activity for the inquiry - and relates to your practice Chloe - time for a 1-1 tutorial to discuss - so contact me this week and come to the ethics session if you can - I also have a blog up about M2.

    Success is a huge concept - so final inquiry question might look at bit different - BUT you have unpacked it a bit in your questions:

    1. What types of learning must you consider when taking a rehearsal in order to get the best performance out of the entire cast? ARE you managing this process - or is this form the performer pint of view - or both?

    How does the teaching and learning experienced in a class differ to that experienced in a rehearsal? learning form experience - professional learning - yes more expertise about this? do performers learn in a particular way?

    Does a performer have to conduct themselves differently in a rehearsal environment than they do in a class? If so, what are the reasons for that difference? If this is a yes - how do they learn/critically evaluate/develop? any expertise on this? Google and Summon - who would you talk to to ask?

    good work - where are you now in your M2 thinking?

    ReplyDelete