Saturday 3 December 2016

Considering Tools of Inquiry

In order to collect data for my inquiry I must consider the methods available to me and how effective they will be at gaining the information I need to carry out my research. When looking at the tools I must consider the different factors that will effect the data I collect. Factors that I must consider include:

  • People used within the method
  • The environment where the data will be collected from
  • My own personal bias


The methods that I must consider are:

  • Observations
  • Interviews
  • Focus Groups
  • Surveys and Questionnaires
  • Document Reviews

Within all of these methods a tool that I will be able to use to review and analyse the data I collect is my journal. I will be able to use my journal to note down observations and answers to questions, use it to evaluate the results of surveys and to analyse documents. 

The Tools

Observations

Observations can take place as an outsider to an environment or as a participant in your working environment. When considering using observations within my own inquiry I think it would be an extremely useful tool for observing my own companies rehearsal process. I usually take part in the rehearsals anyway so my presence in the room would not effect the activities or the responses of people to the activities. I would need to gain the approval of my company coordinator and choreographer to use the results of my observations within my work. All data noted would be done so with anonymity so as to do incriminate anyone within their work place.

A possible negative aspect to the use of this tool would be my own bias towards the environment as it is one I am familiar with. I would need to address this directly by expressing clearly that the observations have come from my personal view point. I could then attempt to give the data more standing by backing up my findings with supporting data collected by other practitioners within a similar environment.

Interviews

Interviews would be a useful tool within my inquiry. It would allow me to access data from outside of my own workplace. I am currently working with a company in Spain which would make it difficult for me to travel for interviews. Therefore I would conduct most of my interviews through Skype. It would be very important to choose people to interview that have relevant knowledge on the subject of my inquiry.

I would need to be careful to word the questions without bias. The interviews would need to be conducted in a structure that makes the participants feel comfortable and able to share the information they hold. A negative aspect of interviews can be that when analysing the data I must interpret what i think the participant meant, you are

'constructing or documenting a version of what you think the data means' (Mason, 2002, p.149)

Focus Groups

When reading about Focus Groups a particular quote from Bell made see how a focus group could be useful to my inquiry.

'focus groups are more likely to include members who either have similar characteristics or experience ... or are known to have a professional concern and knowledge of the issues involved' (Bell, 2005, p.162) 

I believe a good place to start collecting data for my inquiry would be discussing the rehearsal process I am personally involved in with my current peers. I feel like the dimensions within our cast are positive and this will prove a useful tool on gaining information. The participants can gain inspiration from other peoples comments.

I will have to consider that it is important to keep the group discussion moving in a positive and productive direction. I will, as the conductor of the session, have to ensure that this is achieves. Similar to the interviews I may conduct I will have to be considerate of my choice of language within the discussion as to not show any bias to any elements we may discuss. I will need to record the session in order to collect or necessary data. I also need to consider whether this will be only a voice recorder or if I film the session in order to easily identify the speakers. I would worry that the presence of a camera may effect the willingness of participants to speak freely and they may feel self conscious. I believe a simple voice recorder would feel less ominous and more appropriate.


Surveys and Questionnaires


Surveys and questionnaires are a great way to target a lot of people with questions. They tend to gather quantitative data, statistics that you can use to prove or disprove an argument. Some qualitative data can be acquired by using open questions, similar to interview questions but the participant writes down their answer. Similar to interview questions it is important that when constructing the survey or questionnaire you are careful to avoid your own bias when writing the questions.

If I were to include a survey in my inquiry I must consider that the people I get to complete it properly represent the musical theatre industry in terms of age, gender ect. This might be quite tricky to achieve as the industry is not heavily regulated in terms of keeping check of these things so it would be difficult to ensure the right people were getting surveyed.

I would also need to weigh up if the data I would receive would help my inquiry in a significant way. My initial thoughts are that qualitative tools may provide more useful as opinions and experiences may prove more useful to me than figures and facts.


Document Reviews

There are many different document types that you can use to review in your inquiry including academic literature, reports, and journals. I can see document reviews being a useful tool in my inquiry. As i would like to look at the rehearsal processes carried out by Musical Theatre companies from different eras I will have to rely entirely on historical literature. I would also like to look at what policies and organisational documents, if any, current Musical Theatre companies have in place in order to conduct rehearsals.

I will have to consider many things when looking at the documents in order to ensure that I am analysing the data I collect objectively. Although documents could be an extremely useful tool in my inquiry it is important that I consider the context they were written in. The documents themselves can hold bias. I must think about factors such as who wrote it and why, the historical context of the document and the effect this could have on the view points presented and who is the document aimed at.


Conclusion

Looking at all of the methods I think it is important that I keep asking myself what information I need. I think it is also very important to remain open minded about the different methods available. Initially the methods I believe I will use, such as interviews and a focus group, will collect qualitative data. However practitioners such as Bell state,

'No approach depends solely on one method anymore than it would exclude a method merely because it is labelled quantitative, qualitative, case study, action research'. (Bell, Doing your research project: a guide to first time researchers, p.119)

I intend to perhaps include a survey within my inquiry so that I support the information I find through my qualitative data with facts and figures attained through a more quantitative tool.

Overall what is important is that I collect enough data to support and answer my inquiry questions and that the data is appropriately and correctly analysed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment