Sunday 27 November 2016

Group session with Paula 25/11/16

On Friday I rushed from rehearsal and managed to make it to a group session on 'Tools of Inquiry' with Paula and two fellow BAPP students, Megan and Lauren. I'm so glad I managed to make the session as it was not only useful to touch base about section 6 of this module but to start to think about consolidating my learning in the module as a whole.

We spoke about the tools of inquiry available to use to gather data and information to support and guide our inquiries such as interviews, focus groups and surveys. We were asked whether we had made any decisions about tools we would use. I had given this some thought and shared my initial ideas of using a focus group to discuss ideas with my current cast about their thoughts on the rehearsal process we take as well as interviews with practitioners working within the Musical Theatre field in different productions and companies. I also mentioned that I had considered how relationships within my company may effect question responses and had therefore decided to carry out a focus group with my current cast but separate individual interviews with our choreographer and our production co-coordinator. I have chosen to do this as I would not want the presence of management to effect my cast members willingness to answer questions and share opinions freely. Also, vice versa, I would not want the management to feel unable or unwilling to answer questions due to the presence of the cast. Paula added that when conducting these interviews and focus groups it would be important to stress that they are confidential and anonymity could be used where wanted and required. This would also help to remove any feelings of unease people may have at answering questions related to work within a work environment.

Looking at the tools I had chosen to use so far they were all tools that would acquire qualitative data. I intend to do further research and thinking into whether collecting quantitative data would be useful to my inquiry, if collecting some figures and data numbers will be useful in proving or disproving the effectiveness of rehearsal methods.

The session was useful as it reminded me that it is important to not only consider what you can learn from your inquiry but also what you already know about your subject. In order to evaluate how much you can learn from your inquiry you need to know how much you knew already. My inquiry topic on the elements of preparation required in a Musical Theatre rehearsal came about due to a change of job role in the company I currently work for. I have been involved in rehearsal processes from a young age, for instance for my local dance school production shows and nationwide competitions. Therefore I know what is expected from me as a performer in that environment. However when I was made Dance Captain and assistant to the choreographer, I realised how different it is from being part of to taking a rehearsal. I therefore chose to carry out this inquiry in order to improve my rehearsal practice and improve the rehearsal experience for everyone that I work with, now and in the future.

Another important realisation I had is that it is important for me to keep in mind throughout this whole process what my aim is. It is important that I have a narrow field of inquiry and to focus on a particular subject. This not only means that the work load is achievable in the time given but that the work I produce will be to a high standard and the most useful to myself and my peers.

Now as I move forward in the module I am looking forward to consolidating my work and putting myself in a positive position to continue with the process and begin module 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment